Sunday, May 15, 2011

Yearning to Sew

I've been dying to get some sewing time in for weeks, but between going to class, writing at least two academic papers a week, planning my graduation party, and setting things up for myself as a college grad, I just haven't had time. Fortunately, I  finally got some time to work on my graduation dress this weekend. Of course to do so I had to push off completing a paper proposal for a 20-page memoir that's due in the next two weeks, some much needed extra-credit, and another paper analyzing the historical and social significance of second line dancing among African American communities in New Orleans. But what's college without having to pull a few all-nighters?! I decided to use the McCalls 6114 pattern for the dress.


Originally I was going to make the dress in the shortest length, but when I looked at the actual pattern pieces I realized it would have been indecently short. Instead, I'll be making the view C/D length. I'm not adding any type of trim to the neckband however. It's just not my style. I really didn't like the way the dresses were styled on the pattern, but I found a really cute floral fabric from Joanns that seemed right for the project.
I could have finished it this weekend, but when it came to the time to insert the elastic I realized I had forgotten to buy the bias tape needed to encase it! I didn't feel like making the tape, so after I buy that I'll just have to complete the elastic and the hem.

I was supposed to show pictures of the second version of the Simplicity 2286 pattern I made for Easter, but somehow I completely forgot to get a good picture of it. I'll have to post that later, as well as a few other projects I completed awhile ago. I also have a pretty big sewing plan I'll discuss soon that's very exciting! Big things are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment